National History Day 2017 Theme: Taking a Stand
National History Day aims to:
• Motivate students through the excitement of competition and through recognition for their work.
• Provide students with the opportunity to work with and analyze historical documents and other primary source
• Provide a framework for hands-on, student-centered learning that guides classroom teaching as well as continuous professional development.
• Develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that will help students manage and use information effectively now
and in the future.
• Develop student research and reading skills and to refine student presentation skills in writing, visual projects and performances.
• Encourage students to move beyond the classroom and into the community to investigate history.
• Assist teachers and schools in meeting educational standards by encouraging student participation in portfolio-
building and outcome-based learning activities.
• Encourage the study of history by guiding students to express themselves creatively through presentations of
historical topics in various formats.